Monday, April 18, 2011

From Nate the Missionary

Hey there family of mine! Good to hear from you again as usual and know how things are going. It also rained here a little last night and it tried to rain again today, but it was mostly just overcast. The weather is still hot, but it seems to be cooling down at night recently.

Hopefully the rainy season will be coming as planned and we can be experiencing the cooler temperatures. I'd love to feel a bit colder than normal.

Good news for this week is that we had a successful baptism despite the opposition from the Bishop... I wish he would support us more, as his 1st councillor does. But he just doesn't quite have the same vision as us yet I guess. This time, as we had planned the baptism to be right after the Church services, he said that we shouldn't ever have it on another Sunday cause he's too busy to attend. We told him that we put the baptism date on Sunday so that we could have better attendance than 5-10 people, like in the past. This time, though the Bishop didn't attend, we had about 50 people there and I was amazed at how united the ward seemed as they witnessed the baptism of 3 new converts. Felix was me and my companion's investigator to be baptized and the other elders had two people, a mother and her son. So it was a wonderful experience. Our other candidate, Sophia, was baptized in Accra by the missionaries there. We spoke with them over the phone and they told us they also had a great experience on Saturday.

Today we received transfer news and my companion will be going. I'm remaining here and will be getting a new companion named Elder Kebbie, from Sierra Leone. I'm always nervous to see how new companions are, but I'm anxious to get going and continue the work here in Kweikuma, Sekondi. I'm happy to remain here and I wonder if I'll finish my mission here. This past Thursday I had the chance to do my first baptismal interviews as a District Leader. It was a humbling experience of course and I was a little unsure how to do it at first, but it was a cool learning time and my testimony was definitely strengthened as I spoke with Agatha, the mother, and her son Rockson. Agatha is probably in her 40's and her son is probably 12 or 13. They're great people and I'm happy to have been able to meet with them. As I finished the first interview, which was with Agatha, I asked her to give the closing prayer and as she did, it was apparent that she had had opposition and persecution since she started to attend the Church. In her prayer, she spoke of certain friends and people who told her the Church was not good and that she shouldn't attend, but she told God that she's tested it and found it to be His true and only church. It was an interesting experience and I could tell that she already had a strong witness that the Church is true.

This past Tuesday I instructed again. This time it was in a combined District Mtg. and I tried something different. Usually when I instruct, I like to use a lot of sources and even quote from the words of Latter-day Prophets, but this time I decided to only use the Book of Mormon and see how it went. I was surprised to see how easy it was to just talk about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the word of God, as represented by the iron rod in Lehi's dream and vision of the tree of life. I talked a little bit on how we need to be those people who are constantly clinging to the iron rod and once we taste of the fruit, we can't allow other people, those in the great and spacious building, to make us fall and be ashamed. We need to stand strong and continue to live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. As missionaries and members of the Church, we have tasted of that fruit which is joyous above all other fruits and we know our responsibility to spread the word and help our fellow brothers and sisters. I was glad that the Spirit helped me and it went smoothly.

Dad, thanks for sharing your experience. We all have to keep doing our best as children of God and especially as priesthood bearers. We have such great blessings in store for us if we but hold true to our covenants we've made to God. He is willing to give us all that He has, if we will follow His commandments and the example of His Beloved Son. I'm always amazed at how much He truly loves each one of us, to trust us with a part of His power, to trust us with His work here on earth, to trust us in many other things. It truly is His work and His glory, to bring to pass our immortality and our eternal life. I'm so happy to be a part of His work and to be a part of His Church. He has blessed me and each one of us so much and we will always be indebted to Him. He is our Creator, Master, Father, and God. He is our perfect example to follow and emulate. He will always be there for us to come unto and trust in. His love for us is perfect and when we keep His commandments and constantly do what's right, we will have the wonderful feelings of His love and compassion for us. I'm grateful to be a member of His Church and a full-time missionary. I know my time is short here and I need to always do my best. People are relying on my here. My Father in Heaven is relying on me here, to continue in His work and find those of His children who are lost and looking for the truth.

I love you all so much and can't wait to talk on the phone with you all. Easter is coming and I hope you all have a wonderful Holiday and celebration as we remember the resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ. We should all be so grateful for all the He did for us and we should always keep in mind His sacrifice for us all.

I'll talk to you all soon! Have a wonderful week. Thanks for your prayers and loving support!
- Elder Newbold

No comments:

Post a Comment