The best part and the one that counts is that I know for myself that, truly, we are in the work of our Father in Heaven and Savior Jesus Christ. I'm grateful to be here and I'm continually learning. I am definitely not perfect and it's probably not even my place to be complaining about the bishop. I love him and I pray that the members will also. Being here though for 7 months I can definitely tell that the ward isn't as perfect as ours back home. Bishop Egan does a great job and it's even more than we expect. I do realize his service and I'm grateful to know him and feel his love. One of the things I remember most as something he told me before I left to come to Ghana was this, "I don't want to see you until your two years is up..." I can't say those are the exact words but it's as close as it needs to be. We all have a great example to follow when we look at Bishop Egan and I'm grateful to the things he does for us as a ward and individuals. He and the rest of the bishopric work hard and love the ward and if we can't recognize that, then we must be hiding in a corner and staring at the wall... and even then, it's difficult not to feel their love and concern. I thank them and even all the others throughout the world that are giving their lives to serving the Lord. I know the Lord will bless them if He has not already.
Yesterday we had the chance to teach for the first time, a man named Kofi (ko-fee not coffee, haha). He, we met two days earlier, on Thursday, and gave him a Restoration pamphlet. He was over at a members work place, kinda the hang out zone for drunk people, haha. So as we all can guess, I'm sure he's been drunk at some point. At least at the time he wasn't and so we were able to talk with him. He was interested and he complained that he always see people like us but they never talk to him but just walk by. So he asked why we don't talk to him. I said that if he would've shown an interest by at least greeting us or trying to talk to us then we would talk to him back. But there are many people on the street and to talk to everyone we see would take quite awhile. So we scheduled a time yesterday after church and we started teaching him about promises and the doctrine of Christ. He said he didn't have any questions but was ready to listen. He also remarked that he hadn't attended church in about 15 yrs, being a Catholic previously. When we asked him to pray after the lesson to close, he also said that he doesn't remember the last time he prayed. We taught him that it doesn't matter what we say but that God will be happy to listen to His children as they try to speak to Him. We'll be meeting again with him in the coming days and we pray that he can improve and change his life. He wasn't like the typical drunkard that we usually meet on the street who's just plastered beyond their imagination, but he showed interest and was sober.
Today for Pday we played football (soccer) at the stake center. Tomorrow we'll have district mtg and I'll be instructing together with the other district leader. It'll be a combined mtg over in Kojokrom, which is about a 10 min drive in a car. We'll be talking about service and reminding the other elders that we're here to always serve those we come in contact with. It's the first time that I've instructed together with another person, so we'll see how it goes. I'm sure things will go just fine.
Fun to hear about Brad, Chels and the kids coming to visit. Weren't they just there a few weeks ago? or has it just gone by really fast? I can't wait to see them and hear Jude talk. It won't be long til they'll have another baby in the fam, haha.... wonderful. I miss you guys, but it won't be too long until we see eachother. I'm afraid the time will go by too fast though, as it has already. Just another reason why I need to keep working hard right now while there's time remaining and just do my best. I'm again thankful for your support, prayers and love. I couldn't ask for anything more then what you all have given and shown to me.
I love you all so much, and I hope the best for you all. Stay safe, and have a great week! We'll talk soon, too soon.
- Elder Newbold
No comments:
Post a Comment