Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hey Family

Hey family!

Sorry I'm emailing a day late, but yesterday we were gone the whole day to Cape Coast and didn't get back until about 7:30 in the evening. So, we've got time to spare right now and I'm able to send a quick email. This past week's gone well despite the malaria I had... at least we think it was malaria. It only stayed around for a day or two but now it's turned into a cold and the sore throat as of Sunday has greatly improved. I'm happy to be back to somewhat normal. I'm grateful for my health like I said last week, but right when I said that, it was the next day that the malaria came. So, maybe I should hold off saying it everytime and just mentally know that I'm doing well, haha. Like I said, yesterday we traveled to Cape Coast for a zone conference/ farewell gathering for Pres and Sister Sabey. They'll pick up the new mission president and his wife Wednesday evening and then the Sabeys will go home Thursday. So, within the week we'll have a new leader at the head. That'll be a new experience for all of us and I'm sorta curious as to how things will go. At the same time I'm sure things will go as normal and the Lord will continue to direct His work here in this part of Ghana. We played a soccer tournament yesterday with the other 4 zones that were there with us and we had a good time. I saw a lot of old friends that I haven't seen for about 9 months.

As for the testimony in Fante, I'll work on it and I'll even make the promise that I'll be sure to do it at the pulpit there in Layton for you guys to hear and probably not understand anything I say, haha. But it'll be a good challenge for me to complete and I'd be happy to do it. It's actually been the thing on my mind throughout my whole mission... to wonder what I'd say or do at my homecoming talk, but I'm sure the Spirit will help me with things. For money in the account, I've been fine so far and I'll let you know if I need anymore, but as for now I'm doing okay. Thanks so much. I also received the package, Mom, that you sent a while back. Thanks for that too. Honestly, I hadn't heard any news about my flight itinerary and it was news to me that I'll be arriving on the 24th instead of the 23rd. Maybe they'll send it to me within the next few weeks. From what I've heard now, as of asking around since I read that, is that we'll fly out at night on the 23rd. Is that what the papers say? Anyway, that time will come when it comes. I'm doing my best to keep up the work and I feel like the Lord's helping me now more than ever to stay working and strong to the finish. All of your emails and testimonies help so much and I can always feel you love and concern for me. Thanks for that.

I've been reading the Doctrine and Covenants lately and I only have about 54 sections left. I've tried to read it also while reading the Book of Mormon and a few other things, haha. I'm at about Alma 61 or so in the Book of Mormon, so I'm not too far ahead of you guys back home. Captain Moroni is truly a great person and figure for us to emulate. I've always been amazed by that scripture that describes him and I wonder at it sometimes. I hope we can all be like him, the men at least. The women, I don't fear for them. They're always wonderful and pure. We, men, have to do some trying to be perfect and even then it's only through God's love that it's possible, haha.

Well, I'm doing great here and I'm happy to be here. Though the time's going by quickly, I feel like it's a great time to be out working in the service of my fellow beings and in the service of my God. We truly are eternally indebted to Him as King Benjamin talks about at the beginning of Mosiah, in the Book of Mormon. The truths and principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ always keep me in awe. God's plan is so perfect, even as He is. God has chosen us out of our weaknesses to go and preach His gospel to the living among the earth. I see it as a great opportunity and I wish that the other missionaries around the world would see that too. I've tried to help those in my zone to see that and I've really been impressed to talk about reverence and respect for the gospel and I'll probably be talking about something similar to that in the upcoming weeks. I know I'm not perfect so I'm really not in a place to judge, but I am in a place to help my district and others in my zone. So if I see something that we can improve upon, I'll bring it up.

God lives and loves each and everyone of us. His Son lives also and has a body of flesh and bones even as our Father does. I'm grateful for the knowledge I have of the gospel and I know it's by the power of the Holy Ghost that it's been possible for me to learn so much throughout the time on my mission. Though I may think I know much about the topics of the gospel, I know deep inside that my mind is seriously nothing compared to God's and He has all power. The Church has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith and the authority has been brought back with it. I feel very privileged to hold that authority, at least a part of it, and I hope that I can further use it to bless the lives of those around me. I'm grateful for your thoughts and prayers in my behalf. I wouldn't be where I'm at right now if it wasn't for the safety of your prayers. I pray that God will continue to watch over and protect all of you and that we'll always recognize His hand in our lives. We are a very blessed people on the earth to have the gospel and leaders who receive revelation for us. To have temples throughout the world where we can do work for the living and the dead is also a blessing beyond our comprehension. I can't wait to go back to the temple and experience the love of my Heavenly Father so strongly, though I know He is watching over me every minute of the day. The temple is such a wonderful place and I miss going there. We should all take advantage of having temples so close to us back home.

I love you all and I can't wait to hear from you guys in a week! Have a safe and fun week. Keep up the great work all of you!

- Elder Newbold

No comments:

Post a Comment